Passionate about specialty coffee & service? This is for you!
Tasting Room Manager Core Responsibilities
The Tasting Room Manager’s primary responsibility is to ensure the smooth and successful operation of the Tasting Room’s retail functions. This includes supervising staff and managing scheduling, payroll, and hiring, as well as ensuring the Tasting Room is adequately stocked with supplies and roasted coffee as needed. Additionally, the Manager is responsible for barista scheduling and time management for off-bar tasks including ongoing Crown Jewel-related work and occasional support for Royal Coffee customer visits and The Crown’s education department. The Manager reports directly to the CEO, and oversees the entire barista team, including sole discretion for the Lead Barista’s administrative responsibilities as related to the tasks described below or as otherwise required.
· Minimum 3 years of management in a café setting.
· Availability to work within opening hours (including weekends and holidays)
· Sound knowledge of food health and safety regulations.
· Excellent communication skills with the ability to manage and motivate a team
· Excellent organizational and time management skills
· Customer service oriented attitude
· Strong business acumen and an entrepreneurial spirit
· Be a self-motivated problem solver
· High school diploma/GED
· Communicate clearly with baristas and Royal Coffee staff to ensure an impeccable experience for all visitors to our space
· Support a culture that attracts, retains, and develops the highest quality coffee professionals in the industry
· Ensure the baristas feel equipped and supported to carry-out The Crown’s day-to-day operations, and secure in their role at Royal Coffee
· Continue to experiment and cultivate curiosity and enthusiasm among the barista team for new and ongoing projects
· Supervise baristas in the Tasting Room to ensure successful service
· Create and maintain Tasting Room Schedule through Homebase, managing time off requests and spot coverage to ensure the front of house is always adequately staffed. This requires extra communication especially in the case of special events and shifts by non-baristas.
· Submit barista payroll to the accounting department each pay period
· Submit banking and change bank reconciliation at the end of each month, including counting register drops, making bank deposits, getting change, and reporting to the Accounting Department each month
· Hire and train new baristas whenever necessary, in collaboration with Lead Barista and other Crown staff
· Conduct scheduled three-month and one-year reviews for baristas in first year of employment, yearly thereafter
· Coordinate the off-bar and Lab Hours activities of the barista team to ensure that they are aligned with the goals set forth during monthly Crown check-ins
· Ensure baristas are available and feel prepared to participate in Marketing efforts including social media and web videos, as requested
· Provide feedback to CEO regarding barista compensation and staffing decisions
· Assist The Crown team with Crown Analysis work, including clear communication and delegation to baristas to ensure all parts of the analysis for which they are responsible are carried out and submitted in a timely matter.
· Ensure that every visitor to the Crown feels welcomed by the on-bar team in the Tasting Room; continue to foster a service culture that anticipates customer/client needs with the best possible experience throughout the entire space, including behind the bar, in the brew and roasting lab, and in the cupping room.
· Ensure the Tasting Room is a safe space for staff and guests, and communicate with Management when and if safety improvements are warranted
· Create and serve drinks to the high standards expected in the Tasting Room
· Lead by example and ensure that every drink produced meets these standards
· Assist in dialing in a delicious, rotating Tasting Room menu
· Participate in selecting the next menu coffee in collaboration with The Crown team
· Create brew profiles in advance and introduce coffee to baristas with a dial ready
· Collaborate with baristas to ensure that new drinks perform well on bar
· Print menus and ensure menu board is up to date
· Communicate drink info to baristas and social media team well in advance
· Continually develop the team’s coffee and customer services skills, to ensure that every drink prepared is exceptional.
· Communicate with Marketing Coordinator as needed to ensure they have required information to keep The Crown’s web and social pages up to date and relevant
· Ensure barista staff are equipped to support The Crown’s merchandising efforts, including apparel, green coffee, and take-home roasted coffee sample kits
· Request additional training support from The Crown’s Roasting and Education staff to support in-house green and roasted coffee sales
· Communicate with Marketing about merchandise locations, and provide recommendations for additional opportunities or process improvements
· Provide feedback during Crown check-ins regarding Tasting Room functions and make recommendations for operational improvements to our service and revenue models
Inventory and Physical Management
· Maintain inventory and coordinate ordering of the following items:
· Green coffee and roasted coffee
· Milks (Dairy, Almond, Oat)
· Soda/Shrub/Sigbev ingredients
· Cold Brew
· Paper Goods (including cups, lids, straws, napkins, hand towels, toilet paper, trash/compost bags, dish soap, other cleaning supplies)
· Coffee filters
· Gas for draft system(s)
· The Crown should always be clean and ready to use. Delegate weekly and daily cleaning tasks to barista team to ensure that customer service areas especially remain spotless throughout the day, including the Tasting Room, hallway, outdoor tables/parklet, and restrooms.
· Ensure all Tasting Room equipment is clean and well-maintained, and functioning to the standards our operations require
· Coordinate physical repairs and/or maintenance of Tasting Room equipment as needed, in conjunction with The Crown’s Building Supervisor
· Highly competitive pay
· Health, Vision and Dental
· Gym Membership
· 401K Match
· Profit Sharing
· Paid Time Off
· Access to some of the best coffees in the world, with cutting edge technology and the freedom to explore them
· Ongoing educational opportunities in our SCA and CQI certified brew lab, roast lab, and cupping lab
How to Apply
· Please email a cover letter with a summary of why you are a good fit for the role and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
· Please write the position you are applying for & your name in the subject line i.e., Manager, First name last name.