Now Hiring: Barista for The Crown: Royal Coffee Lab & Tasting Room
Passionate about specialty coffee & service? This is for you.
Barista Responsibilities: Stellar Customer Service & Beverage Excellence in The Tasting Room (~75% of the time)
- Create and serve drinks to the high standards set by the Tasting Room Manager and Lead Barista
- Greet every customer; serve and anticipate customer/client needs with the best possible customer service throughout the entire space, including behind the bar, in the brew and roasting lab, and in the cupping room.
- Present and explain the rotating menu to a clientele of both coffee professionals and the general public.
- Have a clear knowledge of all coffees being served, including their producer, roast profile, and current brew recipes.
- Cash Handling/Register Operation
- Maintain inventory of items essential to the Tasting Room’s success – coffee, paper goods, milk, and more.
- Ensure customer service areas remain spotless and regularly sanitized throughout the day, including the Tasting Room, hallway, and restrooms.
- Wash dishes throughout the day and maintain a pristine service environment.
- Communicate clearly with fellow Baristas, manager, Tasting Room Director, and The Crown staff to ensure an impeccable experience for all visitors to our space.
- Support a culture that attracts, retains, and develops the highest quality Baristas in the industry.
- Able to work an 8 hour day with an unpaid, hour-long meal break between the hours of 7 am – 8 pm (i.e. 8 am -5 pm or 9 am – 6 pm or 10 am – pm)
- Flexible availability to accommodate seven days of operation.
Lab Assistant Responsibilities: Detail Oriented Experimentation, Data Management, and Tasting Presentation (10-15% of time)
- Maintain Presentation Room, Brew Lab & Roast Lab
- Assist with the setup, presentation, and cleanup of private ‘Tasting Experiences’ for guests.
- Experimentation with brewing, grinding, and water science in collaboration with the rest of The Crown team.
- Assist senior Crown team with Crown Jewel Analysis as well as with building content for the blog, website, social media, and newsletter.
- Support Royal Coffee and The Crown team members.
Collaboration & Cross-Functional Success (10-15% of time)
- Apprentice in other key areas of The Crown to ensure the Tasting Room is fully synced with all other aspects of the space, and (more importantly) to continue to grow as a coffee professional.
- Take both classes from the Crown’s curriculum and SCA/CQI-certified courses when there is space and time available.
- Cup coffees (production roasts, Crown Analysis, new arrivals, calibrations, and experiments) with The Crown team.
This is a unique opportunity for a creative self-starter looking to move the specialty coffee industry forward & grow their career.
- Passionate about the specialty coffee industry, committed to transparency and collaborative in nature.
- Top-notch customer service and interpersonal skills
- Able to work independently and be proactive.
- Adaptable to new procedures
- Attention to detail.
- Seeks opportunities for self-development and career advancement.
- Takes control and exercises leadership when necessary.
- Communicates and networks effectively, clear and direct verbal communicator.
- Desire to learn and explore all facets of the coffee industry; seeks out learning opportunities.
- Focuses on results and achieving personal work objectives
- Foreign language skills are appreciated but not required.
- Pay $21/hr, with a planned increase at 3 and 6 months, and at one year assuming good performance.
- Health, Vision, and Dental
- Gym Membership
- 401K Match
- Paid Time Off
- Access to some of the best coffees in the world, with cutting edge technology and the freedom to explore them
- Ongoing educational opportunities in our SCA and CQI certified brew lab, roast lab, and cupping lab
How to Apply
- Please email cover letter and resume to Josh@royalcoffee.com.
- Write the position you are applying for & name in the subject line i.e., BARISTA FIRST NAME LAST NAME.