by MJ Smith
“Assume Nothing!” A mantra for The Crown as we worked towards opening our doors in March of 2019, the phrase became a Menu section, encouraging our visitors to drop their preconceptions and be open to new and delicious experiences. And now it’s the title of a recipe series, for you to recreate at home. Here’s to a year of assuming nothing!
Au Lait of Apricity
apricity [ apri-city ] noun
the warmth of the sun in winter
The Au Lait of Apricity consists of our light roast drip coffee, steamed milk, and a syrup made from toasted rice, in-season kiwis, cardamom, brown sugar, and cinnamon, then topped off with Rice Krispies coated in coriander and brown sugar. My intention behind creating this beverage was to encapsulate the warmth of the sun on a cold winter morning. That feeling when the air is brisk, the smell of coffee is dancing around your nose, and the sun has just peeked its glorious face over the horizon, its warm glow kissing you gently on the cheeks. The kiwi and the light roast coffee are meant to resemble the sun’s brightness, while the toasted rice, brown sugar, cardamom, and cinnamon offer its warmth. Then, to give you the full sensory experience, the Rice Krispies act as the last of the fallen autumnal leaves, crunching and crackling under your feet. Whether you’re in the mood for something a little different or just looking for something to warm your bones, the Au Lait of Apricity is here to help you fight the winter SADs and remind you to stop and enjoy the little things every once in a while.
Apricity Syrup Recipe:
- 30g syrup
- Half a cup of Light Roast drip coffee
- Fill rest of the way with steamed milk (oat or almond recommended)
- Garnish with Apricity Crispies
- 1qt water
- 1qt sugar blend
- 3 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 100g rice (toasted)
- 500g kiwi (peeled & diced)
- 1tbsp cardamom
- 1 cinnamon stick
- First things first, rinse your rice!
- Add rice to skillet and warm over medium-high heat. Be sure to keep the rice moving to keep it from sticking to the pan. Heat until rice is all browned and toasty.
- Separately, combine water and sugar in a saucepan set to medium-high heat. Stir until the sugar has dissolved.
- Once boiling, add kiwi and cook for 13 minutes.
- Then, add rice, cardamom, and cinnamon sticks and continue to cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and pour through a fine mesh strainer (gently press ingredients into a strainer to squeeze out all the remaining good stuff).
Apricity Crispies Ingredients
- 150g Rice Krispies
- 20g coriander
- 60g brown sugar
- 35g simple syrup
- Grind coriander seeds
- Combine Rice Krispies, coriander, and brown sugar (in 8qt cambro) and toss
- Drizzle with simple syrup and toss again
- Spread out evenly on the dehydrator tray
- Dehydrate overnight