Now Hiring: Lead Barista for The Crown: Royal Coffee Lab & Tasting Room
Passionate about specialty coffee & service? This is for you. Read the full Job Description here.
Lead Barista Core Responsibilities
Front of House Leadership & Beverage Excellence in The Tasting Room (75% of time)
- Create and serve drinks to the high standards set by the Tasting Room Manager
- Lead by example and ensure that every drink produced meets the standards set by the Tasting Room Manager.
- Greet every customer; serve and anticipate customer/client needs with the best possible customer service throughout the entire space, including behind the bar, in the brew and roasting lab, and in the cupping room.
- Present and explain the rotating menu to a clientele of both coffee professionals and the general public
- Provide continued training for baristas both in service and in the brew lab to continually develop the team’s coffee and customer services skills, and to ensure that every drink prepared is exceptional.
- Assist in dialing in a rotating coffee menu
- Cash Handling/Register Operation
- Oversee and maintain inventory of things necessary to the success of the Tasting Room, including: milk, paper goods, towels, cleaning supplies etc.
- Ensure customer service areas remain spotless throughout the day, including the Tasting Room, hallway and restrooms. Wash dishes throughout the day and maintain a pristine service environment.
- Communicate clearly with fellow baristas, Tasting Room Manager and The Crown staff to ensure an impeccable experience for all visitors to our space.
- Aid the Tasting Room Manager in building a sustainable schedule for the baristas, including offering coverage when needed.
- Support a culture that attracts, retains and develops the highest quality Baristas in the industry.
- Able to work an 8 hour day with an unpaid, hour-long meal break
Lab Assistant Responsibilities: Detail Oriented Experimentation & Data Management (10-15% of time)
- Experimentation with brewing, grinding and water science in collaboration with the rest of The Crown team
- Supporting completion of weekly Crown Analysis each week, including Green, Ikawa, Roast, Brew, and Taste analysis
- Provide staffing and support physical and virtual classes and events
- Set up and break down cuppings for The Crown, Royal traders and customers, and for the public
- Assist the marketing team in building content for the website, newsletter, and social media
Collaboration & Cross Functional Success (10-15% of time)
- Apprentice in other key areas of The Crown to ensure the Tasting Room is fully synced with all other aspects of the space, and (more importantly) to continue to grow as a coffee professional.
- Cup coffees (production roasts, Crown Analysis, new arrivals, and experiments) with The Crown team.
- Passionate about the specialty coffee industry, committed to transparency and collaborative in nature.
- 2+ years of barista, training, and team leading experience
- Takes control and exercises leadership when necessary; initiates action, gives direction, and takes responsibility.
- Supports others and shows respect for all. Puts people first, works effectively with individuals and teams.
- Plans ahead and works in a systematic and organized way. Focuses on results and on achieving personal work objectives.
- Applies expertise effectively. Quickly learns new technology. Adapts and responds well to change.
- Communicates and networks effectively; clear and direct verbal and written communicator.
- Desire to learn and explore all facets of the coffee industry; seeks out inependent learning opportunities
- Focuses on results and achieving personal work objectives; Looking to support a highly innovative specialty coffee hub
- Foreign language skills appreciated but not required
Benefits & Compensation
- Health, Vision and Dental
- Gym Membership
- 401K Match
- Profit Sharing
- Paid Time Off
- Access to some of the best coffees in the world with cutting edge technology and the freedom to explore them.
- Ongoing educational opportunities in our SCA and CQI certified brew lab, roast lab, and cupping lab
- Hourly rate $25/hour and a change at 3 months to $55k. No tips.
How to Apply
- Email Cover Letter and resume to email@example.com.
- Write the position you are applying for & name in the subject line i.e., LEAD BARISTA FIRST NAME LAST NAME or BARISTA FIRST NAME LAST NAME.