Water Composition & Coffee: Theory & Tasting
Water can get complicated, and as it’s 98% of the coffee we drink, knowing more about it is crucial! Let’s explore both theory and practice together in an interactive setting with plenty of tasting examples.
Water Composition and Coffee: Theory and Tasting will explore core concepts like:
- The basics of water mineral content – way more than just H2O!
- Customizing your mineral content – commercial and micro applications
- Tasting specific minerals in water and their different iterations including
- Magnesium Chloride & Sulfate
- Calcium Chloride & Sulfate
- Sodium & Potassium Bicarbonate
- Tasting coffees in different configurations of mineralized water
- Exploring the effect of roast style in combination with mineral content on flavor.
About the Instructor
Chris Kornman, Education & Lab Manager, The Crown
Chris Kornman is a seasoned coffee quality specialist, avid writer and researcher, and the Lab & Education Manager at The Crown: Royal Coffee Lab & Tasting Room. Formerly a QC manager, cupper, educator, green coffee buyer, and roaster at Intelligentsia under the guidance of Geoff Watts, Chris logged thousands of miles across the coffee lands in East Africa and Brazil. His passion for coffee and education has led him to speaking opportunities at Anacafé in Guatemala City, Roasters Guild Sensory Summit at UC Davis, as part of the Academic Agenda for the Café de Colombia Expo in Bogotá, and in front of humming roasters and slurping coffee tasters worldwide.
We cannot wait to host you in our Tasting Room, at the Cupping Table or for a Coffee Course.
One of the special things about The Crown is that we are located in the heart of Uptown Oakland – a veritable paradise for coffee lovers & foodies alike. However, parking is limited in the area, and we highly encourage public transportation or ride sharing. Below are some resources to help you plan your visit.
For more information on visiting The Crown, please click here.